Services
Our Services
Market Feasibility
Tax Credit/LIHTC
Student Housing
Single-family
Real Estate Consulting
HUD mortgage insurance information

Data
Building Permits
Other Housing Data
Where We've Been

Tax Credit
Main Page
Max Rents/Incomes
Fair Market Rents
QCT Database
Diff. Dev Areas

Articles
Newsletter Archive
Special Reports

Blog
Contact Us
Subscribe to Mailing List
Links
Employment
Search
Staff

LIHTC Units Relative to Multifamily Permits

In order to examine the impact of the LIHTC program on multifamily starts, we compared the the total number of low income units authorized to the number of multifamily units authorized.  Based on our research, we estimate that approximately 75% of LIHTC units authorized are new construction units placed in service.  The remaining 25% of  LIHTC units authorized are for renovation units, single-family units, or are not placed in service.  Therefore, we have adjusted for these factors.

Why would a state have more LIHTC units authorized than multifamily starts?   First, the state may be authorizing a higher percentage of renovations or single-family units than our adjustment factor.  Second, the number of multifamily permits might be underreported.  Many municipalities do not report permits to the Commerce Department, or do not require permits, and so the Commerce Department estimates permits based on a variety of factors. 

State Name Total TC Units (1987-2008) Adjusted TC Units Total MF Permits (1987-2008) Ratio of LIHTC Units to Multifamily Permits
Alabama 35,794 26,846 99,555 26.97%
Alaska 2,798 2,099 14,969 14.02%
Arizona 24,323 18,242 196,688 9.27%
Arkansas 19,848 14,886 69,993 21.27%
California 128,752 96,564 955,317 10.11%
Colorado 20,416 15,312 175,499 8.72%
Connecticut 12,826 9,620 51,866 18.55%
Delaware 7,178 5,384 16,613 32.41%
District of Columbia 7,077 5,308 15,083 35.19%
Florida 94,918 71,189 1,018,354 6.99%
Georgia 59,364 44,523 335,056 13.29%
Hawaii 4,374 3,281 46,266 7.09%
Idaho 8,070 6,053 40,350 15.00%
Illinois 65,726 49,295 293,000 16.82%
Indiana 40,009 30,007 161,801 18.55%
Iowa 20,966 15,725 74,978 20.97%
Kansas 23,054 17,291 65,792 26.28%
Kentucky 29,786 22,340 83,334 26.81%
Louisiana 49,094 36,821 54,982 66.97%
Maine 6,487 4,865 15,637 31.11%
Maryland 37,161 27,871 123,699 22.53%
Massachusetts 34,148 25,611 110,265 23.23%
Michigan 65,789 49,342 189,757 26.00%
Minnesota 30,580 22,935 137,478 16.68%
Mississippi 37,888 28,416 55,930 50.81%
Missouri 36,476 27,357 132,058 20.72%
Montana 4,750 3,563 19,751 18.04%
Nebraska 11,823 8,867 50,077 17.71%
Nevada 10,784 8,088 206,714 3.91%
New Hampshire 4,528 3,396 25,268 13.44%
New Jersey 31,453 23,590 182,944 12.89%
New Mexico 11,669 8,752 27,372 31.97%
New York 83,341 62,506 431,758 14.48%
North Carolina 46,944 35,208 302,130 11.65%
North Dakota 5,995 4,496 27,536 16.33%
Ohio 78,948 59,211 250,298 23.66%
Oklahoma 29,650 22,238 41,173 54.01%
Oregon 20,239 15,179 154,647 9.82%
Pennsylvania 61,762 46,322 138,325 33.49%
Rhode Island 7,081 5,311 13,726 38.69%
South Carolina 27,262 20,447 135,533 15.09%
South Dakota 7,375 5,531 24,548 22.53%
Tennessee 38,276 28,707 138,113 20.79%
Texas 191,923 143,942 710,719 20.25%
Utah 14,960 11,220 71,057 15.79%
Vermont 5,082 3,812 10,146 37.57%
Virginia 56,834 42,626 240,622 17.71%
Washington 30,366 22,775 308,916 7.37%
West Virginia 12,374 9,281 12,580 73.77%
Wisconsin 37,662 28,247 224,130 12.60%
Wyoming 4,233 3,175 7,457 42.57%

Additional detailed analyses of the LIHTC program at the state level.

Back to main LIHTC page

 

   

Quick Navigation:

Search | Tax Credit | Free Newsletters | Methodology
Our Services | Staff | Been There | Home | Employment


 

 

All information on this web site ©Danter & Associates, LLC
info@danter.com
Danter & Associates, LLC, 2760 Airport Drive, Suite 135 Columbus, OH 43219
(614) 221-9096